21st Century Plan
“Blueprint” for Success
Every Post take the initiative to be proactive, growth oriented with informed, trained and knowledgeable members who understand and communicate the programs and principles of The American Legion to all eligible veterans, military personnel, community and Post members.
- Every Post should draw up a vision statement
- Legionnaires are considered to be in uniform when wearing the official American Legion cap, therefore all Legionnaires will be encouraged to wear his/her Legion cap during all Legion activities.
- Every Post should exemplify the ideals of the American Legion as set forth in the preamble and vision statement. (When National talks about a "Perfect Post", we want them to point to South Carolina posts).
- Every Post will and should be a value-based organization, by annual or periodic self-evaluation using the provided Department check list
- Every Post should establish a viable, functioning American Legion Auxiliary and Sons of The American Legion Squadron.
III. Public Relations
- Every Post should utilize available media to educate and inform the community of local Post and National patriotic events and other local Post activities.
- Every Post should establish an annual Public Relations plan outlining the Public Relations activities of the Post as overseen by a Public Relations committee.
- Every Post will endeavor to promote and accomplish one or more American Legion programs annually.
- Every Post should endeavor to increase its participation in American Legion programs annually.
- All Department Officers must attend mandatory Officers Retreat.
- Every Post should send as many officers and members as possible to annual "LILS" (Leadership in Legion Studies) workshops.
- All Department Officers (elected and appointed) must take and successfully complete The American Legion Extension course within 45 days of installation at the Department Convention.
- All Zone and District Commanders shall be available to assist Posts in training, as needed, i.e., Post LILS Workshop.
- Zone and District Commanders along with Auxiliary and SAL officers will endeavor to establish mini LILS workshops in their area of responsibility.
- Posts will utilize Post Checklist as devised. Vice-Commanders, Zone Commanders, and District Commanders will follow-up on checklist.
- Zone and/or District Commanders will encourage blue-cap Legionnaires to take The American Legion Extension Institute course.
- Every Post member who signs up a new member should introduce them to the Post. The new member will be provided a mentor until they are familiar with rules and activities of the Post.
- Every Post will establish a mentoring program for inactive Legionnaires, including those Legionnaires confined to nursing home, hospitals, or homebound.
- Every Post should be 100% annually (95% renewals plus 5% new members).
- Every Post and the Department should be 100% by February 28th of each year.
- Statewide membership goal is to enroll 8% of the state's eligible veterans by 2004.
- Every Post should endeavor to keep Post members informed by the proper dissemination of information received by the Post